Appendix A: Living in Residence


What should I do before moving into residence?

Although some students live off campus or at home, for many students one of the first university experiences involves getting set up at residence. Here are some tips on how to ease that process.


What does my residence give me, and what am I allowed to bring?

Before you start to pack for residence, you should call ahead and find out what your residence provides for you, and what you are allowed to bring.

Here are some things you may want to ask if your residence provides: a fridge, bedding, a vacuum, ethernet cables, and toilet paper. You’ll also want to ask what size of bed is provided.

Every residence has specific rules about things you can’t have in your residence room, these may include things like: fish or other pets, kettles, microwaves, fridges, candles, incense, heaters, or coffee makers.


What should I pack for residence?

After you’ve found out what your residence will provide you, and what you’re not allowed to take, it’s time to start packing.

When you pack, you should label all of your boxes with your name, your residence building and your room number. It’s will only take a minute, and it may save you from losing your favourite hoodie.

Here are some things that you should consider packing:

  • Clothing
  • Blankets
  • Pillows
  • At least two sets of sheets
  • Toiletries
  • Hair dryer
  • Ear plugs
  • Wall decorations (sticky tack, pictures, posters, white paper and crayons, etc.)
  • Towels
  • Flip-flops (especially if you share a shower)
  • Formal clothing
  • School supplies
  • Computer (any software discs or keys you’ll need for back-up)
  • First-aid kit
  • Kitchen supplies. If you’re on a meal plan, just a set or two should be fine. (plates, bowls, cutlery, cups, mugs, pots, pans, etc.)
  • Clothes hangers
  • Laundry supplies
  • Flashlight
  • Slippers
  • Cleaning supplies (broom, glass cleaner, etc.)


What is a residence assistant?

These people go by a lot of different titles, varying from university to university. They might be called RAs, Dons, RLAs, CAs, or simply Residence Staff. They’re the students hired to work in your residence community, and they’ve got a lot to offer.

Residence assistants are upper-year students who have lived in residence before and have been given special training. They might even be the first person you meet on your new campus, and will organize events to help you meet others.

These students ensure the buildings are safe and secure by doing regular rounds. If you have any concerns about your residence or university experience, speaking with the residence assistant on your floor or in your community can be an excellent place to start.

If you have any questions about your university’s services, roommate issues or other questions, your residence assistant is a great place to start.


What should I do after I’ve moved into residence? 

Once you’ve moved into residence, there are some things that you’ll want to know about how to take advantage of some of the resources all around you. Roommates and residence staff can be a great help.


Experience U Guidebook Copyright © 2014 by jbhogan. All Rights Reserved.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *